The Equinox Worms
"...2 big worms that control the flow of day and night..."
The Equinox Worms are Post-Moon Lord bosses fought at anytime on the surface and consists of two worm bosses, the Daybringer and Nightcrawler. Fighting and defeating these bosses is essential towards the mod's progression, as they allow several Ancients to be fought.
Spawn[edit | edit source]
The Equinox Worms do not spawn on their own, and require the player to summon them using the Equinox Worm at the Equinox Altar. Anubis, Forsaken Judge, Worm King Greed, and Olympian Athena must be defeated prior to fighting the Equinox Worms, as they drop the Worm Idol, Gravity Sphere, and Star Chart respectively.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Daybringer and Nightcrawler normally behave very much like normal flying worm enemies, flying through the air and attempting to ram the player. However, the main part of the fight is their unique gimmick of one worm having empowered attacks at certain times.
Once the Equinox Worms are summoned, the time of day will speed up similarly to the Enchanted Sundial's effect. Depending on the time of day, one of the worms will be empowered: becoming larger and unlocking a wider variety of attacks for the empowerment's duration. The Daybringer is empowered during the Day, while the Nightcrawler is empowered during the Night. The Equinox Worms will only use their unique attacks if they are currently empowered.
When one of the Equinox Worms are defeated, the remaining one will be empowered for the rest of the fight, locking the time into either the Day or the Night. When one of the Equinox Worms is defeated, time will still be sped up.
Daybringer[edit | edit source]
- Frequently fires radiant arrows from her segments. These are fired perpendicular to the direction that each segment is going in.
- Flies above the player, becoming highly resistant to damage, and rains down homing suns that eventually explode into rings of fireballs. Time will pause during this attack.
- Throws out orbs that hover in place, before launching themselves at the player.
- Creates several radiant stars that hover around the player and follow them around; after a short while, they explode into radiant beams that are telegraphed by warning lasers.
Nightcrawler[edit | edit source]
- When empowered, immediately spawns a circle of dark clouds orbiting his head to protect him from damage. These will inflict Obstructed on contact with the player.
- Casts night thunderbolts, which fly in a straight line.
- Fires darkmatter energy blasts that slightly home.
- Occasionally fires a barrage of fast dark matter scythes.
- Slows down and starts curling in a circle while becoming highly resistant to damage, before firing deathrays out from his segments. Their firing direction is perpendicular to the direction the segment is moving in. The time of night will pause during this attack.
Other Notes[edit | edit source]
If they are spawned when the player is completely below the surface, the worms will flee, flying up into the sky where they will despawn. However, returning to the surface will cause them to target the player once more. Since both worms could despawn separately, the player could wait for one worm to despawn and go to the surface to fight the other.
The Equinox Worms drop one treasure bag each, but they share one bag type. Daybringer's bag drops when one Equinox Worm is killed while it is daytime, and Nightcrawler's bag drops when one is killed while it is nighttime.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- Celestial Ore will spawn in the Space layer. It switches to Radium Ore during daytime; and switches to Darkmatter Ore during nighttime. They can be crafted into Radium Bar and Dark Matter respectively, which can be used to craft Radium and Darkmatter gear and summons for Akuma, Yamata and Zero.
- All post-Moon Lord Ancients can be challenged.
- Ancient Lungs start spawning in The Inferno's pagoda and Soulsuckers start spawning in The Mire's lake, dropping Searing Sparks and Terror Souls, allowing the Flames of Anarchy to be crafted, thus Sisters of Discord can be challenged.
- Searchers start spawning in The Void. They drop Apocalyptite, which can be crafted into Apocalyptite Plates can be used to craft Doomsday Tesseract, thus Zero can be challenged.
- Also the theme of The Void is changed, to indicate that Zero can be fought.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Their boss theme is Orbital Equilibrium, composed by charliedebnam. This is a remake and overhaul of Symphony of the Stars by OmegaFerretMusic.
- The Equinox Worms are members of a species called Equinox.
- The Daybringer is a female Equinox, while the Nightcrawler is a male Equinox.
- Daybringer is longer than Nightcrawler. This is to reflect the fact that “Daytime” in Terraria lasts longer than “Nighttime”.
- The Equinox Worm pair that the player fights are the pair that helped split an evil Chaos Wizard into 4 souls.