- This is a page about an overhaul of a vanilla enemy. The page on that enemy itself can be found here.
Zombies are common surface enemies that appear at night, and are a primary reason newer players will want to build a shelter before night arrives. Along with Demon Eyes, they are generally among the first enemies a player will encounter, as they appear nightly in areas a player first spawns. Multiple NPCs living in the area will reduce or prevent local enemy spawns, including Zombies and other nightly enemies.
Zombies walk towards the player in order to make contact and deal damage. They can jump and navigate Platforms. Zombies will kick closed Doors in their path repeatedly, and can successfully open them during a Blood Moon event.
In Expert mode, some Zombies carry disembodied arms. These deal more damage on contact than other zombies and will stop to perform a 'slashing' animation when near the player, extending the range at which they can damage the player. These arm-wielding zombies are unable to open or interact with doors.
Changes in Overhaul[edit | edit source]
Zombie Infection[edit | edit source]
When a player gets killed by a zombie, they will be greeted with the death message "You became a zombie...", with a new zombie enemy named "[Player name] the Zombie" spawning at player's death location. The player's camera will follow the wandering zombie until they respawn or when the zombie despawns or dies. The death announcement chat message always gets changed to "And then [player name] was a zombie.".
Spotting[edit | edit source]
Like most enemies with Fighter AI, zombies now need to have a clear line of sight with a player to start chasing one, wandering randomly until that happens. This isn't the case during Blood Moons, Solar Eclipses, and any Invasion.
Attack Jumps[edit | edit source]
Like most enemies with Fighter AI, normal (non-armed) zombies can jump at their target when they get close.
Other[edit | edit source]
- As seen above, most normal zombies now have much better sprites and animations.
- Normal zombies now make a biting sound when attacking.
- Zombies have footstep sounds.
- Slime zombies will spawn a Blue Slime on death.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- "And then [player name] was a zombie." death announcement is a reference to DOOM: Repercussions of Evil, a very amateur short fanfiction for the video game series Doom, which very suddenly ends with "And then John was a zombie.".