- Item (Quantity)Rate
Spawn[edit | edit source]
Dunestock can be spawned by using a Dried Canteen in the Desert Post-Skeletron. When summoned, a sandstorm will occur.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Dunestock begins the fight by staying stationary on the ground. After cycling through its attacks, he comes off the ground, leaving his legs behind which will crawl after you, and performs some attacks in order before landing back on top of his legs. Under 40% of health, its second phase begins.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
First phase:[edit | edit source]
When attached to its legs and in its first phase, he will stay still for a few seconds. Right before he does an attack, he'll release red waves of particles. He will repeat the following attacks 3-5 times at random:
- He will rapidly fire a barrage of needles in the player's direction. One out of every 4-6 needles will be unaffected by gravity. These needles will stick to platforms for a short amount of time.
- Fires three rounds of tumbleweeds in a shotgun formation, each of which will get progressively faster. These will bounce off of tiles and are affected by gravity.
- He will make a line in the general direction you are going to be based off of your velocity, telegraphing a quick barrage of soil which will be fired in the direction of this line.
- under 65% health, he can fire 3 dune claws. These will bounce of tiles and explode into needles in your direction a few seconds after initially being fired.
When he is done with these, he will de-attach from his legs and begin flying after you. His legs will walk after you and occasionally jump.
While flying, he will use the following attacks in order before landing back on his legs and repeating his 3-5 attacks:
- Flies after you for 4 seconds while firing needles which aren't affected by gravity. The farther you are from the boss, the faster he'll fly after you.
- Aligns with you horizontally and does a charge attack. While the charge is happening, two claws will be fired out in your direction.
- Stops and fires a fast needle barrage in a set direction.
Upon reaching 40% health, he will unleash a screen shaking roar, signifying that he has entered his second phase.
Second phase:[edit | edit source]
During his second phase, he will repeat the following attacks in order repeatedly. He will always be airborne, and therefor his legs will also be chasing after you:
- A harder version of his first flying attack from phase one.
- A faster version of phase one's charge attack. During this he will fire three claws instead of two.
- Flies above you while dropping antlion clot bombs. These will explode into homing blood once they hit platforms or any solid tile.
- Stops for a few seconds before summoning a sandnado. While the sandnado is there, he will fire shotgun like bursts of slashes towards you. The sandnado will last for about five seconds and will suck you closer to its position.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Build a layer of platforms right above the sand under your arena. This will cause some of the needles to go under the platform, making them not a threat to you.
- It is best to flatten out an area for the boss. It will make much less obstacles to get in your way.
- If you're having trouble with space, put actuated sand on your platforms to expand your arena.
- While he is doing his first flying attack or its second phase equivalent, it is best to not try to run from the boss, as he will easily catch up and hit you. Instead it is best to closely circle it.
- Aerodynamic potions will greatly help with your mobility as they make you immune to the winds from a sandstorm.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Dunestock is Danny's favorite boss.