- Parent article: Weapons (WeaponOut)#Whips
One of the "new" melee weapon types introduced in WeaponOut is the whip. This melee weapon functions similarly to spears, trading the sweeping attacks of swords for the longer range of stabs. The key feature of whips is their ability to only deal critical hits when hitting with the tip.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Based on the behaviour of the Solar Eruption, whips fly out a set distance from the player following a slight sweeping motion, before returning again. However whips have a few major drawbacks to make up for their superior range.
- Cannot go through walls. On hitting a tile, the whip will simply retract, leaving the player more vulnerable for the rest of the animation.
- Cannot deal random Critical hits.
- Lower base damage than other weapons of the same tier.
Instead, whips will always deal critical hits when it connects with an enemy when fully stretched out, indicated by a subtle shadow outline effect at the tip of the weapon (the whip does not necessarily need to hit the enemy at the tip, only that the enemy collides with it during this window). In addition, critical strike chance increases the damage of critical hits. This means a whip with 50% critical strike chance and 10 damage, will deal 2 * (10 * (100% + 50%) ) or 30 damage. Therefore it is important to keep hitting enemies at a critical distance to maintain high DPS.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.4: Shadow effect added to show critical timing.
- 1.0: Introduced.